Saturday 9 April 2016

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing



I got introduced to the KonMari method by a dear Portuguese friend of mine.


It was with great enthusiasm that I found out that I was not alone in this quest to tidy up my house and take over my life so I decided to discover who was this KonMari.
_______________________________
SOME FACTS:


Marie Kondo (近藤 麻理恵) is a Japanese organising consultant and author. Kondo's method of organising is known as the KonMari Method, and one of the main principles is keeping only possessions which "spark joy."
_______________________________


I listened to the The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing written by Marie Kondo (I like audiobooks now). In this book she gives you a set of tools to put your life on track just like you always dreamed of and it seems to work worlwide.


Minimalism was already a very important word in my dicionary. I tried out different methods before I listened to Marie Kondo’s book. And that is why, I didn’t follow her method 100%. I’m already half away (I would like to imagine) on my decluttering journey.


I listened to this book while I discarded some belongings and I need to say that I learned a new perspective of life and order. It is not only a book on organisation or a guide to decluttering, this book is much more. The writer teaches us to respect and appreciate our objects and to talk to them… and it is written in such a passionate way that you can’t be unmoved.

Yes, talk to them...She says you should show how gratefull you are to all objects you use daily while you get home to take them out and put them in the right place!


“ - Thank you Jacket for warming me up today!”
“ - Thanks you shoes. You were very comfortable today.”
“- Thank you bag. You never let me down!”


And never forget to show appreciation to your home that gives you shelter to you and to your family!


It sounds crazy and maybe it is but it works. Even Oprah Winfrey has a Gratitude Journal!  


Now I come home and I show how much I appreciate it and I do thank to my clothes when I take them off to change to my cosy clothes.
It’s a gratitude action! And to someone who never puts things in place it is working wonders. How can I be grateful for some pants and at the same time don’t put them in their right place?


When the objects are not helping you anymore, it is also an act of respect, to let them go. She says that an object wants to serve you, make you happy, help you to achieve your goals. If the object isn’t doing that you need to let it go.


Another important thing you learn in this book is that before decluttering you need to understand why you are decluttering! Marie Kondo explains that you need to picture what is the life style you want to have and only then just cut everything that is not helping you get there! And when you decide to make this “material cut” don’t forget, make an event out of it! Because you are really making something great in your life, it needs to be celebrated!


Give it a try and let me know!




Posts about Minimalism:


2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I love learning new things and this I had never heard of prior to reading this. I love the idea of decluttering and cutting out what is not helping. Will be sharing this post with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    If you search in youtube for it you will find the audio book :)

    ReplyDelete