Tuesday 10 November 2015

Avocado experience!


I organised a dinner with some friends and we ate some rice paper vegetable raps (or veggie summer rolls as goolge calls it). I chopped many types of vegetables and fruits to include in the raps filling. Two from this mix were avocados.

So... Like the rest of the world I'm doing the avocado seed experience! I'm trying first with one seed and if it doesn't work I try with the other. 




I saw this experience many many times all over the Internet. It looks like is the easiest thing to do. But my avocado seed didn't create any roots yet! And I read that in a day the avocado seed starts rooting when in contact with the water!

Looks like it doesn't!

I searched in Youtube for some more information's and I found this video here:


This guy, my avocado seeding guru, explains in this video how we should do it. 

But is more or less this what you need to know:


  1. After the first day in water take the skin from the bottom of the seed, it will help the root to come out.
  2. The seed can be in water for 3 months and it doesn't mean is a dead seed. 
  3. Don't transfer directly the seed from the water to the soil. Is a huge shock for the plant this brutal change in her environment so what he proposes is adding soil to the water during a period of time. When is full of soil than pass the seed to the container.
  4. This plants would not produce fruits (sad) because they need pollinators.

If this works I don't know what I'm doing with one or two avocado plants but is always good for oxygen production and I'm sure they make lovely gifts!

Here is how the avocado plant will look like:


No comments:

Post a Comment