Tuesday 3 November 2015

The cats, the garden and my growing hate



Since I realised that it wasn't my imagination and I wasn't forgetting things unfinished around the garden I have to confess I'm starting to grow slowly a hate inside.

First was the fox! Yes... I have a fox that comes to my garden to make her dirty business every single night! So, although I don`t have a dog my garden is full of poop.
But it's ok! ( kind of ok!) I take the "accident" as free fertilizer and she is honoring me with her presence. Some what it makes me feel like a Beatrix Potter... and I feel proud to able to build a garden that attracts wild animals.

Then I started to notice things that I planted taken out from the earth. Specialy Bulbs... after replanting for the fourth time the bulbs for the winter flowers my gardening peace was destroyed with the realisation that I did that before and something or someone was destroying my work!

And who is to be blamed? 

All the gardens know this criminal! 

The CAT!!

And don't take me wrong, I love animals. I even fill a big bowl of water for the animals that visit my garden to have something to drink in this year hot summer that we had in Germany.
But my breaking point was the garlic!

I planted garlic in my garden, already late, in the end of September beginning October.
Is my firt time trying to grow garlic and is not a easy task because they realy need the last warm days of October to be able to start growing. If something goes wrong you can't do anything because you are dependent on the weather.
It takes on average 8 month to grow garlic enough to produce a bulb. So this long time and the weather dependency makes this a high risk culture and can mean that in the end it was a waste of time and money.

When I came to the garden and I saw half of the garlic out of the earth... Ooooohhhhh! I was realy mad!

I replanted them and try to hide them better but it didn't work like expected... the "visitors" thought it was a game, a cognitive research from my part that they were able to achieve at 100% success rate.

My job now is to check all my bulbs and pray for them to gain roots so they aren't so intertaining.

Carl said we need to get a dog, so he can do what dogs do best and kick the cats out. 
But my past expirience tells me that probably he and the cats will become friends and probably I will have more poop and on more criminal being an accomplice in what happens at night in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment